Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kurt Update

I know we have talked to some of you but for the rest here is the most recent update. During the middle of July Kurt hurt his right knee playing basketball, well not really playing he was just messing around on a 6 foot rim - which is slightly amusing since he managed to make it through the whole season of football unharmed. He was in a lot of pain so we took him to an orthopedic doctor who wasn't able to find anything wrong so Kurt had to have an MRI. The MRI showed that he had completely torn his ACL and probably part of his meniscus. Due to his bum leg, Kurt cancelled his backpacking trip in the wind rivers and his fishing trip to Alaska and scheduled surgery (great trade, huh). Surgery was set for August 4th but was later moved to August 18th. The reason the surgery was moved back was that Kurt also has bone spurs on the heals of his feet and decided to have them removed at the same time as his knee surgery. The 18th was the earliest the two surgeons could coordinate their schedules.

Last week Kurt's leg started to feel strange and he lost most of the feeling in his foot so on Friday he called the doctor and was told to ice it and watch it over the weekend. On Monday things weren't any better so he called back in and was told to go straight to the ER because of possible blood clots. My amazing friend Tammy rushed over to watch the kids and Kurt and I headed off to see what else was wrong with him . . . at this point, I was really thinking my husband was falling apart. After a couple hours in the ER, an ultra sound, two injections and one pill of rat poison (literally) Kurt was released. He has blood clots all over in his right leg (starting above his knee and going down to his ankle). The doctors are confused because apparently this is not common with ACL injuries so they took some blood work to see if they can find the cause. At this point nothing looks abnormal in the blood work but they are still waiting on some results. In the meantime, Kurt gets to have injections for three more days and continue on with the other blood thinner (I like to call it rat poison since that is what it is). Due to the harshness of the blood thinner he has to have blood work at least once a week, and his surgeries are now postponed indefinitely.

I must admit I was a little freaked out and worried with this new development. The more I thought about it the more the seriousness of the situation hit me (and I am not usually a worrier). Our amazing neighbors came over last night and gave Kurt a blessing. I honestly must say it was a beautiful - I probably would have bawling if I wasn't so inept at showing or expressing emotion. I am feeling so much better today and am so grateful to everyone for their love and support!

8 comments:

Rick Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamy said...

Sorry Debbie that was Tamy, I was signed in as Rick:)

Tamy said...

Sorry about all the comments. I deleted the one I made as Rick. We will be praying for you and your family. Stay strong, love you.

Jamie said...

That sounds awful! I hope things start looking up real soon. If you ever need a sitter, you are more that welcome to bring them over at any hour.

Crystal said...

Holy Cow!!! So that was right ofter I talked to you! I am so glad they caught it! What do you guys need? Let me know if I can do ANYTHING....

Jen said...

Oh Debbie, I totally feel your pain. Chris got a blood clot in his leg just a few days after his last surgery. Luckily Kurt can take the blood thinners (I know you probably don't think that's a lucky thing, but Chris couldn't take them because of his brain surgery so he had to have a filter put in below his heart). I'll be praying for you guys and hoping that you can get everything worked out for surgery. In the meantime, good luck with the coumadin (which really is rat poison...crazy huh??). P.S. sorry this comment is so long...I should just call you, huh???

tearese said...

oh no,we had no idea! I hope everything is okay!

Stephanie said...

Oh Debbie...we love you guys! Please give Kurt our best and know you are both in our thoughts and prayers.